Found 320 quotes starting with DE:

Delores breezed along the surface of her life like a flat stone forever skipping along smooth water, rippling reality sporadically but oblivious to it consistently, until she finally lost momentum, sank, and due to an over- dose of flouride as a child which caused her to suffer from chronic apathy, doomed herself to lie forever on the floor of her life as useless as an appendix and as lonely as a five-hundred pound barbell in a steroid-free fitness center.
– Winning sentence, 1990 Bulwer-Lytton bad fiction contest.Rate it:
Delusions of grandeur make me feel a lot better about myself.
– Jane WagnerRate it:
Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security, or the rights of property; have in general been as short in their lives as they are violent in their deaths.
– James Madison, Federalist Papers (# 10)Rate it:
Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.
– Alexis Charles Henri Clrel de TocquevilleRate it:
Democracy becomes a government of bullies tempered by editors.
– Ralph Waldo EmersonRate it:
Democracy consists of choosing your dictators, after they've told you what it is you want to hear.
– Alan CorenRate it:
Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values.
– Barack ObamaRate it:
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.
– Irving KristolRate it:
Democracy encourages the majority to decide things about which the majority is blissfully ignorant.
– John SimonRate it:
Democracy encourages the majority to decide things about which the majority is ignorant.
– John SimonRate it:
Democracy gives every man the right to be his own oppressor.
– James Russell LowellRate it:
Democracy is 51% of the people taking away the rights of the other 49%.
– Thomas JeffersonRate it:
Democracy is a beautiful thing, except for that part about letting just any old yokel vote.
– Jack Handey Deep ThoughtsRate it:
Democracy is a constant tension between truth and half-truth and, in the arsenal of truth, there is no greater weapon than fact.
– Lyndon B. JohnsonRate it:
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
– George Bernard ShawRate it:
Democracy is a device that insures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
– George Bernard ShawRate it:
Democracy is a form of government in which it is permitted to wonder aloud what the country could do under first-class management.
– Senator SoaperRate it:
Democracy is a political method, that is to say, a certain type of institutional arrangement for arriving at political -- legislative and administrative -- decisions and hence incapable of being an end in itself.
– Joseph SchumpeterRate it:
Democracy is a process by which the people are free to choose the man who will get the blame.
– Laurence J. PeterRate it:
Democracy is based upon the conviction that there are extraordinary possibilities in ordinary people.
– Harry Emerson FosdickRate it:
Democracy is being allowed to vote for the candidate you dislike least.
– Robert ByrneRate it:
Democracy is good. I say this because other systems are worse.
– Jawaharlal NehruRate it:
Democracy is like a hobby horse: It will carry you nowhere unless you use your own legs.
– Herbert SamuelRate it:
Democracy is never a thing done. Democracy is always something that a nation must be doing. What is necessary now is one thing and one thing only that democracy become again democracy in action, not democracy accomplished and piled up in goods and gold.
– Archibald MacLeishRate it:
Democracy is not a fragile flower still it needs cultivating.
– Ronald ReaganRate it:

Discuss these letter quotes with the community:

Quote of the Day

Would you like us to send you a FREE inspiring quote delivered to your inbox daily?

Please enter your email address:     

We need you!

Help build the largest human-edited quotes collection on the web!