Found 1,299 quotes starting with D:

Skip to:DDADBDC - DEDF - DHDI - DKDL - DNDO - DQDR - DTDU - DWDX - DZ

Deliberation is the work of many men. Action, of one alone.
– Charles de Gaulle
Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn't matter. I'm not sure a bad person can write a good book, If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for.
– Alice Walker
Deliver thunder, God, if you choose not to talk.
– Dejan Stojanovic
Delores breezed along the surface of her life like a flat stone forever skipping along smooth water, rippling reality sporadically but oblivious to it consistently, until she finally lost momentum, sank, and due to an over- dose of flouride as a child which caused her to suffer from chronic apathy, doomed herself to lie forever on the floor of her life as useless as an appendix and as lonely as a five-hundred pound barbell in a steroid-free fitness center.
– Winning sentence, 1990 Bulwer-Lytton bad fiction contest.
Delusions of grandeur make me feel a lot better about myself.
– Jane Wagner
Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security, or the rights of property; have in general been as short in their lives as they are violent in their deaths.
– James Madison, Federalist Papers (# 10)
Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.
– Alexis Charles Henri Clrel de Tocqueville
Democracy becomes a government of bullies tempered by editors.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Democracy consists of choosing your dictators, after they've told you what it is you want to hear.
– Alan Coren
Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values.
– Barack Obama
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.
– Irving Kristol
Democracy encourages the majority to decide things about which the majority is blissfully ignorant.
– John Simon
Democracy encourages the majority to decide things about which the majority is ignorant.
– John Simon
Democracy gives every man the right to be his own oppressor.
– James Russell Lowell
Democracy is 51% of the people taking away the rights of the other 49%.
– Thomas Jefferson
Democracy is a constant tension between truth and half-truth and, in the arsenal of truth, there is no greater weapon than fact.
– Lyndon B. Johnson
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
– George Bernard Shaw
Democracy is a device that insures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
– George Bernard Shaw
Democracy is a form of government in which it is permitted to wonder aloud what the country could do under first-class management.
– Senator Soaper
Democracy is a political method, that is to say, a certain type of institutional arrangement for arriving at political -- legislative and administrative -- decisions and hence incapable of being an end in itself.
– Joseph Schumpeter
Democracy is a process by which the people are free to choose the man who will get the blame.
– Laurence J. Peter
Democracy is based upon the conviction that there are extraordinary possibilities in ordinary people.
– Harry Emerson Fosdick
Democracy is being allowed to vote for the candidate you dislike least.
– Robert Byrne
Democracy is good. I say this because other systems are worse.
– Jawaharlal Nehru
Democracy is like a hobby horse: It will carry you nowhere unless you use your own legs.
– Herbert Samuel

We need you!

Help build the largest human-edited quotes collection on the web!


The Web's Largest Resource for

Famous Quotes & Sayings


A Member Of The STANDS4 Network